Friday 24 May 2013

The truth will set you free

It has been more than two weeks since I wrote my last blog. There is no excuse. I was on vacation and had plenty of time to do it. I did commit to posting to my Facebook daily with interesting things I encountered - and there were plenty, both in Hong Kong and in Taiwan where I spent five days on a tour that took us from the south to the north of the island. I had lots of opportunity to see and hear what God was showing me through my journey.

Today's scripture is based on John 8. The most famous verse is probably verses 31-32:
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Jesus is a Jew. He knows about the Jewish laws. In this chapter he was teaching in the temple courts. There were Jews who were genuinely interested to hear what he had to say but there were others (like the teachers of the law and the Pharisees) who looking for a reason to kill him.

The chapter began with a trap (verses 1-11) - they brought a woman caught in the act of adultery. According to the law of Moses, she should be stoned to death! Now what would Jesus say to that? Was Jesus' teaching different from the traditions? Jesus' reply was not to contradict the law but to point out that we all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). And the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23). The woman caught in adultery was not stoned as those around her left knowing that they too had sinned and deserved death. The gift of life for this woman was the forgiveness from Jesus and from then on she would find strength to leave her life of sin.

Jesus then proclaimed that:
1. He was the light of the world (verse 12).
2. Jesus is from the Father. His Father is his witness (verse 16). "This is my beloved son in whom I am well-pleased" (Matthew 3:17).
3. He is the Messiah and salvation is found in no one else (Acts 4:12). If you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins. (verse 23)

What Jesus was telling these believing Jews was that the laws were written to convict them of their sins. No one can fully obey the laws and be saved. However, if anyone believes in Him (who he is, where he is from and what he would be doing for our sins - "when you have lifted the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me" (verse 28)

If we "hold on" to this teaching we become his disciples (as opposed to the ordinary believers). In holding on to Him and His truth, we will find freedom - freedom from the condemnation of the laws.
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment