Friday 13 December 2013

Whom Shall I Fear?

I just finished reading the Book of Hosea and wanted to write a summary like I did for the Book of Ezekiel last week. However, while googling around I "accidentally" discovered a sermon I heard maybe 2 or 3 years ago by Pastor Lane Fusilier (of Philpott Memorial Church) on the topic of "Whom shall I fear" which was taken from the Book of Ezekiel! Here are my notes (the application was very powerful!):

Introduction on the sermon series "Whom Shall I Fear":
Previous sermon on Luke 12:4-7 - "Fear Not"
I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Lesson: Fear God more than anything else. "It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." Hebrews 10:31. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." (Proverbs 9:10 and Psalms 111:10) - that's the kind of fear we embrace!

This sermon in Ezekiel 2:1-8 - the same phrase "Fear Not" is used.
He said to me, “Son of man, stand up on your feet and I will speak to you.” 2 As he spoke, the Spirit came into me and raised me to my feet, and I heard him speaking to me.

3 He said: “Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have been in revolt against me to this very day. 4 The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says.’ 5 And whether they listen or fail to listen—for they are a rebellious people—they will know that a prophet has been among them. 6 And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or be terrified by them, though they are a rebellious people. 7 You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious. 8 But you, son of man, listen to what I say to you. Do not rebel like that rebellious people; open your mouth and eat what I give you.”

In Ezekiel, the fear is the fear of being ridiculed. When we are fearful of our vulnerability we look to the cross - Jesus was more vulnerable than we will ever be - by his own choice. However, when we are being ridiculed - it is more personal. We know that when we represent God, we will be ridiculed.

Jesus said:
Blessed are the ridiculed! (Matthew 5:11)
How are we blessed when we are ridiculed for our faith?
Make sure we are not ridiculed because of the way we are doing it. It should be more than me; it should be "because of Jesus" for which we are ridiculed.

Three main points from this passage:
(1) Why did Ezekiel need to be told not to fear?
In chapter 1 Ezekiel had a vision and saw the "glow" (or the glory) of God! This happened while he was among the exiles (deported Jews) living in Babylon (see my last blog). The Babylonians successfully removed the spiritual, economic, and political leaders from Israel and brought them to Babylon. They were rebellious, obstinate, and stubborn (verses 3 & 4). This was the people Ezekiel was sent to warn about God's punishment. God predicted that they would not listen or believe what Ezekiel had to say. They would most certainly ridicule him. He had reason to be afraid. God told him not to fear because the spirit of God would help him - much like what he did in chapter 1 when Ezekiel was so awe struck by the vision of God that he could not stand up on his own (verse 1). The Spirit had to prop him up (verse 2)! Ezekiel was told that it was not about the result (whether they listen or fail to listen); he just needed to obey (speak God's words to them)(verse 7).

(2) What is going to help him not to be afraid?
Ezekiel was asked by God to do only what God can do (changing people's hearts). God will protect him. This is illustrated by the fact that God only called his name twice but He addressed him as "son of man" 92 times in the Book of Ezekiel! Jesus is also addressed as the son of man - he is fully human, he represents man. So God was calling Ezekiel son of man to remind him that he was mortal; only God could keep him alive. Knowing that he was in God's hand helped him not to be afraid.

(3) What is he supposed to do?

  • Speak for God: Speak regardless of the response - expect results not in the short term; "they will know a prophet has been among them" (verse 5) - that's the effect. In Greg Koukl's book Tactics he used the phrase "to leave a stone in their shoe" to remind the people that God was there; he had warned them by his prophet.
  • Speak as someone "the glory of God had impacted his soul". If we speak without the impact of the glory of God it will sound like something we made up, and come across as self-righteousness.
  • Speak according to God's word "Speak my words to them...open your mouth and eat what I give you" (verses 7 & 8) - be satisfied with God's words ourselves first; then speak.


Applications:

  • Fear is real. We have experienced it. Jesus had experienced it also (Hebrews 2:18). God has spoken to this (as in the book of Ezekiel).
  • The reason God has chosen you - because you are just like them in all the important ways (just as Ezekiel was one of the exiles). We know the questions they have - like why did God not answer our prayer to heal our love one. Statistics showed that 80% of new believers were introduced to Jesus by their friends; only 2% were by a pastor. They see me just like them. We must love the word more than their approval and not be afraid of their ridicule.

May God give us grace - our fear is their door to repentance. Give me the courage to speak.

The story of Jim Elliot is a wonderful story of someone who was not afraid to tell the gospel to a man eating tribe.

Isaiah 54:4-8
“Fear not, for you will not be ashamed;
    be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced;
for you will forget the shame of your youth,
    and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.
5 For your Maker is your husband,
    the Lord of hosts is his name;
and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer,
    the God of the whole earth he is called.
6 For the Lord has called you
    like a wife deserted and grieved in spirit,
like a wife of youth when she is cast off,
    says your God.
7 For a brief moment I deserted you,
    but with great compassion I will gather you.
8 In overflowing anger for a moment
    I hid my face from you,
but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,”
    says the Lord, your Redeemer.





No comments:

Post a Comment