Friday 24 January 2014

Jesus' instructions to the twelve apostles - part II

Here I am in historic Charleston, South Carolina for the conference Mere Anglicanism. Listening to John Lennox speak last night was a real treat. What a bright mind who is used by God to challenge the wave of atheism that is so prevalent in our society! Just finished listening to Alvin Plantinga arguing why Naturalism and Evolution can not be compatible. He is a real legend and defender of the faith. I praised God as I watched this man in his 80's still with such a brilliant mind. I only wished my understanding of philosophy was good enough to absorb all he was explaining to me. I have much more to look forward to this weekend. Thank you Lord for this opportunity!

So I will begin where I left off last week - Matthews 10. This is the commissioning sermon before Jesus sent his special disciples (the 12 apostles) to proclaim the good news to the surrounding towns. The good news message was "the kingdom of heaven has come near" (verse 7)! The "telling" was to be accompanied by the "doing" of good works: "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give." (verse 8). I noticed that what they were able to give to others came from what they already had freely received.

Biblestudytools.com helps me understand Jesus' instructions to the twelve:
"This directory divides itself into three distinct parts. The first part ( Matthew 10:5-15 ) contains directions for the brief and temporary mission on which they were now going forth, with respect to the places they were to go to, the works they were to do, the message they were to bear, and the manner in which they were to conduct themselves. The second part ( Matthew 10:16-23 ) contains directions of no such limited and temporary nature, but opens out into the permanent exercise of the Gospel ministry. The third part ( Matthew 10:24-42 ) is of wider application still, reaching not only to the ministry of the Gospel in every age, but to the service of Christ in the widest sense. It is a strong confirmation of this threefold division, that each part closes with the words, "VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU" ( Matthew 10:15 Matthew 10:23 Matthew 10:42 )."

Using this as the basic framework to understand Jesus' instructions to the apostles, and to me in modern time, let me see if I can apply this to my situation.

First (based on verses 5-15), I am to reach out to those who are believers immediately around me. I should not worry about how I am to be supported, financially, or any aspect of livelihood. Look for "worthy" persons or "deserving" homes to form meaningful relationships. They too are accountable to God.

Secondly (based on verses 16-23), there will be enemies and strong oppositions as I attempt to reach out to unbelievers (gentiles) and the confused (Samaritans). I need to be wise and be on guard. There may be persecutions but God through his Spirit will enable me to speak. Relationship will be affected and I may not be popular. I need to know when to move on to someone else. God is the judge! I totally can relate to this in my work place and I thank God all the more for this conference where I gain wisdom to be more prepared:
"But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect"
(1 Peter 3:15)

Thirdly (based on verses 24-42), on the broader perspectives of my mission I need to remember:
  • He is God and I am not! Jesus is the teacher and master. I am the student and his servant. He is in charge and not the devil.
  • Do not be afraid - and he said it three times! Don't be afraid of those who may talk in my back. God will reveal the truth in due time. Don't be afraid who may harm us. They can't touch my soul! Always remember that God is the judge at the end. Don't be afraid about anything. God knows me well and will supply all my needs.
  • Acknowledge God before others knowing that Jesus will be acknowledging me before my heavenly father! Even though sometimes I won't be well received. What Jesus has done for us is according to God's plan. His message of salvation goes against our sinful nature to want to create our own gods. Jesus' message will always divide. "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1 Corinthians 1:18). 
  • Put Jesus first. I can't say better than this: "Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it."
  • We will be welcomed too - first by other believers and finally by God himself, and with my reward in heaven! And the reward won't depend on how big of a job I do for him - "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment