Friday 14 March 2014

What I learned this week about gleaning

The title of this blog is called Scriptural Gleaning. Events that happened this week and what I read today gave me a fresh understanding of what gleaning is. The scripture passage is from the book of Deuteronomy 24:19-22:
"When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches a second time. Leave what remains for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow. When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the vines again. Leave what remains for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt. That is why I command you to do this."

The obvious lessons from this scripture passage include:

  • We must try to find a way to provide for those in need; especially the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow. In  the case of the Israelites, they would soon be inheriting the promised land and would be living among displaced people and those uncared for within the traditional family context.
  • We can do this charitable act in the context of our work, as in farming for the Israelites. We don't necessarily just give handouts.
  • There is an expectation that those in need will have to do some work also. They have to harvest what has been left behind in the field.
  • The reason for doing this is to remind ourselves where our own provision comes from - the One who had saved us from our sin and from our slavery to sin (John 8:34, Romans 6:6).


Now according to Wikipedia: "Gleaning (formerly 'leasing') is the act of collecting leftover crops from farmers' fields after they have been commercially harvested or on fields where it is not economically profitable to harvest. Some ancient cultures promoted gleaning as an early form of a welfare system."

Two things happened this week, both related. The first was the purchase of an used vehicle for my daughter. I was looking everywhere for this particular model of car my daughter asked for but was not easy to find. I happened to spot just such a car while driving by a rather run down dealership. The elderly salesman came from a developing country. He had suffered a small stroke and his speech was not easy to understand. Now it was easy to say to myself that this man was not to be trusted but I persevered (1 Corinthians 13:7 came to mind). Although I did not buy the car from him at the end but the few times I met him developed into a small friendship. I gave him a little bit of money for all the effort he took to help me.

The second thing that happened this week had to do with my purchasing another used car to replace my "old clunker". Now this old clunker was in good running condition and other than the fact that it was over 12 years old and had a high mileage, it really should run for a little while longer as long as one didn't mind to live with a few minor electrical problems. When I asked the dealer for a trade in I was offered only $500 for it. Initially I thought I could do much better selling it on my own on Kijiji. But after taking the old car home I began to loathe over the many things I had to do to sell a used car myself. Then I remembered how in the past I had donated several cars to either charity or the mission organization where I was (and still is) serving as a volunteer board member. A tremendous peace came over me and I did just that. Turned out it became an answered prayer for a missionary family who had been praying for a car for the last month!

I believe God instituted gleaning as something I must do to benefit not only those in need but also to myself - to develop my generosity and my trust in his rich provision. It is also an expression of my gratitude to him who demonstrated his love to me in this: while I was still a sinner, he died for me (Romans 5:8).

No comments:

Post a Comment