Friday 11 April 2014

David and Goliath

I have been reading Malcolm Gladwell's book "David and Goliath" and it happened that this morning's bible reading was also on the same topic. 1 Samuel 17 told the story of a little known shepherd boy David who defeated Goliath, the experienced war hero, in an one on one combat. This story always reminds me of how we can do the impossible, as long as we have faith in God and the courage to do what will bring honour to Him.

In Malcolm Gladwell's book he "challenges how we think about obstacles and disadvantages, offering a new interpretation of what it means to be discriminated against, or cope with a disability, or lose a parent, or attend a mediocre school, or suffer from any number of other apparent setbacks." I have enjoyed the first half of this book so far. He has helped me look at life slightly differently - especially when I encounter set back. However, he doesn't touch on the spiritual side of things - what role does God play in the impossible situation? Is there such a thing as a miracle?

The most famous 3 verses in 1 Samuel 17 are:
17:45 David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 
17:46 This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 
17:47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.”

These are the take home messages:

  • When we fight a serious enemy we invoke the name of the Lord Almighty (or "El Shaddai"). His name gives us the confidence that he is not only all powerful, but also his character - all loving, faithful and just, full of compassion and mercy.
  • The more impossible the situation is the more we know that it is the Lord who has done it and not we.
  • The purpose for the victory is to make His name known. "The whole world will know...".
  • The Lord uses a different weapon (unlike human weapons) - "Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit" (Zechariah 4:6)

P.s. I am writing this blog inside the Ocean Terminal in Hong Kong (where wifi is free!). I have been visiting my siblings this week and tomorrow we travel to Japan for a week of R&R. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment