Friday 26 December 2014

How do I understand the Book of Revelation?

It began with the troubling question: what are the seven seals (Revelation 6:1-17, 8:1-5), seven trumpets (Revelation 8:6-13; 11:15-19), and seven bowls (Revelation 16:1-21) in the Book of Revelation which I read in the course of the past two weeks? Gotquestions.org explained it as "three succeeding series of end-times judgments from God". I have great difficulty understanding how these future events can possibly be relevant to my life on earth today. I can understand how the seven churches (Revelation 2 and 3) from the past can teach us a lesson for today and I wrote a blog about it. I guess I choose to believe a much more simpler future and that is that when I die I will be with my Savior Jesus. Or if Jesus should come back before I die, all the better! It doesn't matter whether I will meet Him in the air or that it will just happen - boom! I know many of my loved ones are not "saved" yet but I do believe Jesus is merciful and just. He hadn't given His life for all (John 3:16) just that He can enjoy seeing them suffer for eternity - in some hell fire. Some theologians will accuse me of make-belief. But I just don't care for now. I haven't found making a big deal out of literally interpreting the "thousand years" (Revelation 20) makes much sense in my learning to live and love for the rest of my days on earth.







I do want to dig a little deeper into understanding the entire Book of Revelation. After reading a few commentaries online on the subject, I actually found Wikipedia's straight forward explanation helpful. I have learned that the religious interpretations fall into one or more of these categories:
  • Historicist, which sees in Revelation a broad view of history;
  • Preterist, in which Revelation mostly refers to the events of the apostolic era (1st century), or—at the latest—the fall of the Roman Empire;
  • Futurist, which believes that Revelation describes future events (modern believers in this interpretation are often called "millennialists"); and
  • Idealist, or Symbolic, which holds that Revelation does not refer to actual people or events, but is an allegory of the spiritual path and the ongoing struggle between good and evil.
I guess I was more of a "Futurist" before and I am a mix of the other three for now. Wikipedia further explains the Events of Revelation which is a really easy article to read and which gives a very good summary of the entire book. Unlike many commentaries, this article does not explain these events from any of the religious traditions. For example, today's scripture reading on Revelation 17 is about a woman who "was dressed in purple and scarlet, and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries. The name written on her forehead was a mystery:

babylon the great
the mother of prostitutes
and of the abominations of the earth.


I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of God’s holy people, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus.
" (Revelation 17:4-6a)

This woman is often referred to as "The Whore of Babylon". Wikipedia has this to say about the woman: "The Whore is associated with the Antichrist and the beast of Revelation by connection with an equally evil kingdom. (The word "Whore" can also be translated metaphorically as "Idolatress"). The Whore's apocalyptic downfall is prophesied to take place in the hands of the beast with seven heads and ten horns. There is much speculation within Christian eschatology on what the Whore and beast symbolize as well as the possible implications for contemporary interpretations."

Since Babylon no longer exists, different religious interpretations give totally different explanation for the symbolism of this Babylon - ranging from the Roman Empire (Preterist) to the Roman Catholic Church (Historicist).

In this case I prefer to think (as an Idealist or a Symbolic) that the Whore of Babylon represents the evil still in existence in humanity (with its graphic depiction of all her depravity). It is reassuring that this Babylon will fall (will find out tomorrow in Revelation 18)!

There is a reason that the Book of Revelation is kept as part of the Holy Scripture. Jesus is referred to in the book from the beginning to the end:
The revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave him to show to his servants.” (Revelation 1:1a) 
and 
"He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen." (revelation 22:20-21).

This article reminds us that Jesus is the eternal God (Revelation 22:13); He is the Creator (Revelation 3:14); our Messiah (Revelation 22:16 - cf Revelation 5:5 and Genesis 49:10) and the sacrificial Lamb (Revelation 5). Oh how I thank you Jesus! On this boxing day, may I never forget your birth (Christmas) and your death on the cross (Easter) for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment