Friday 22 May 2015

Learning from David's prayers

I know King David was a person of prayers. Just look at the number of psalms he had written (74 out of 150 in the Book of Psalms alone)! But this morning I was particularly struck by the two of his prayers recorded in 1 Chronicles 16 and 17:

(1) In 1 Chronicles 16:8-36 after King David brought the ark of God back to Jerusalem and appointed priests to look after it, he commissioned Asaph (who himself also a song writer) to write the music for this prayer. Here are the words that jumped out at me (I put emphasis in a few places):
Thank God! Call out his Name!
    Tell the whole world who he is and what he’s done!
Sing to him! Play songs for him!
    Broadcast all his wonders!
Revel in his holy Name,

    God-seekers, be jubilant! (verses 8-10 The Message translation)
They (God's chosen people - us!) wandered from country to country,
    camped out in one kingdom after another;
But he didn’t let anyone push them around,
    he stood up for them against bully-kings:

Don’t you dare touch my anointed ones,
    don’t lay a hand on my prophets
.” (verses 20-22)
Shout Bravo ("ascribe" in the NIV translation)! to God, families of the peoples,
    in awe of the Glory, in awe of the Strength: Bravo!
Shout Bravo! to his famous Name,
    lift high an offering and enter his presence!
Stand resplendent in his robes of holiness!
(verses 28-29)
Let Ocean, all teeming with life, bellow,
    let Field and all its creatures shake the rafters;
Then the trees in the forest will add their applause
    to all who are pleased and present before God

    —he’s on his way to set things right! (verses 32-33)
(This last emphasis reminded me of the Lord's prayer - Thine Kingdom Come!)
Give thanks to God—he is good
    and his love never quits.
(verse 34)
Read also "What does it mean that love never fails? (1 Corinthians 13:8)"

(2) God had revealed His promise to David through a dream to the prophet Nathan. In this promise God reminded David of his humble beginning (he started out basically a shepherd boy). Now that God has made him a king and a ruler over all his enemies, He assured him that His promise for the future will come true. After hearing that, David "went in and sat before the Lord" and said this prayer (O how sweet is that?!) :
Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, my God, you have spoken about the future of the house of your servant. You, Lord God, have looked on me as though I were the most exalted of men. (1 Chronicles 17:16-17)
This prayer really spoke to me. It reminded me of a few of my other favorites:
What is mankind that you are mindful of them,
    human beings that you care for them?

You have made them a little lower than the angels
    and crowned them with glory and honor. (Psalm 8:4-5)
Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—

who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
(Psalm 103:2-5)

I often quoted Psalm 103 when I shared my personal testimony. In fact, every time I shared this Psalm I couldn't keep my tears welling up in my eyes - tears of joy and gratitude. Now what I need to learn to do is be Jubilant, and Shout Bravo!



No comments:

Post a Comment