Friday 1 May 2015

Logos - the Reason for Life

I was looking for a topic to write this morning. I thought I would continue with the theme of the church's current sermon series (The Look of Love), which is based on the Fruit of the (Holy) Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), and in particular, the aspect of Joy as an expression of Love. What does Joy look like? Does it look differently when I am in Love? Who am I in love with?

But then I checked my Facebook this morning and a preacher friend posted a sermon by Tim Keller - one of my favorite preachers (who says Facebook is a waste of time?). The title of this sermon is "A Reason for Living". Tim Keller as usual argued brilliantly that life is not meaningless. He quoted a number of brilliant philosophers who concluded that if our aim in life was to have total freedom, then we must conclude that life was meaningless. He contrasted this view with that of the apostle John, whose opening statement in his gospel (with the original Greek in brackets):
"In the beginning was the Word (logos), and the Word (logos) was with God (theos), and the Word (logos) was God (theos)." (John 1:1)

Tim Keller explained that the meaning of the word Logos was derived from the root word for "logic", which should really be translated as "the reason for life". During the time of John, the Jews were under Roman rule. The religious leaders taught the people that their life had no purpose until the Messiah came. John was to announce that "the reason for life" has arrived!

So I use what I learned this morning to look at what I learned from the sermon again and came up with these practical ideas for my life ahead:

(1) Joy flows from our relationship with Jesus through the Holy Spirit. I am glad this is the first point on the sermon. I should learn to focus (with the help of the Holy Spirit) on giving praise to God for His Son Jesus Christ, through good times and bad:
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. (Psalm 16:7)

I should follow Jesus' example:
At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do. (Luke 10:21)

And practice and practice:
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (Philippians 4:4)

(2) Joy is bigger, better, and more beautiful than happiness. This should govern many of the choices I make. Is it for more comfort and temporary happiness? Does it invest in the eternal? I should practice making more other-centered decisions. In times of difficulties all the more I should learn from Jesus:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

(3) As an expression of love, joy is good for you, and good for others around you. YES!
 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. (2 Corinthians 8:2)

(4) Joy is cultivated through gratitude. So practice giving thanks always, continually, and in all circumstances!
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

(5) Gratitude (which leads to joy) is cultivated through an intentional focus. Beware of negative thoughts and re-focus quickly. Practice positive thoughts, like this verse admonishes us to do:
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)

Say this to myself everyday:
Jesus is my reason for living! Love Him and obey Him. In doing so I will find meaning and purpose for the rest of this life and the life to come. And JOY will invariably come.

I learned this in my early days as a Christian. It came from the study of the Book of Philippians at a conference. The secret to JOY is this:
Jesus
Others, then
You

No comments:

Post a Comment