Friday 7 August 2015

Romans 9 and God's Sovereignty

In all my (Christian) life whenever the topic of Free Will versus Sovereignty of God came up, I would refer to Romans 8. Listen to these words:
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified." (Romans 8:28-30)

These words just speak to me that God is in it throughout the process of me coming to know Him, to love Him, and to bet my eternity on Him. Now over the years I also have heard arguments from the Free Will camp, especially from our current pastor Bruxy Cavey, how by interpreting these words differently you can explain it all using the free will argument.

Today my scripture reading is from Romans 9. I have read these passages many times before but I have never been as impressed as today how the chapter gives an even stronger argument for God's sovereignty. Listen to these words:
For he (GOD) says to Moses,
“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
    and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. (verses 15-18)

As he (God) says in Hosea:
“I will call them ‘my people’ who are not my people;
    and I will call her ‘my loved one’ who is not my loved one,”
and,
“In the very place where it was said to them,
    ‘You are not my people,’
    there they will be called ‘children of the living God.’”
 

Isaiah cries out concerning Israel:
“Though the number of the Israelites be like the sand by the sea,
    only the remnant will be saved.
For the Lord will carry out
    his sentence on earth with speed and finality.”
(verses 25-28)


But this is the strongest line:
Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” (verse 13)

It is very easy and a common reaction to then accuse God as being unjust and unfair. But reading it through the entire chapter and seeing how the apostle Paul puts out the arguments, the message is in fact the Good News! For those of us who are believers, it is wonderful to know that God has chosen us (and who am I to deserve this?). And that it is a powerful and sovereign God who will keep me to the end.

I came across this article by John Piper called "The Absolute Sovereignty of God: What Is Romans Nine About? ". He described two events that not only completely changed his mind on the topic, but also changed the course of his life. He said "Romans 9 is like a tiger going about devouring free-willers like me.

He quoted from Jonathan Edwards' testimony and is worth repeating here:
"From childhood up, my mind had been full of objections against the doctrine of God’s sovereignty, in choosing whom he would to eternal life, and rejecting whom he pleased; leaving them eternally to perish, and be everlastingly tormented in hell. It used to appear like a horrible doctrine to me. But I remember the time very well, when I seemed to be convinced, and fully satisfied, as to this sovereignty of God, and his justice in thus eternally disposing of [dealing with] men, according to his sovereign pleasure. But never could give an account, how, or by what means, I was, thus convinced, not in the least imagining at the time, nor a long time after, that there was any extraordinary influence of God’s Spirit in it but only that now I saw further, and my reason apprehended the justice and reasonableness of it. However, my mind rested in it; and it put an end to all those cavils and objections. And there has been a wonderful alteration in my mind, in respect to the doctrine of God's sovereignty, from that day to this; so that I scarce ever have found so much as the rising of an objection against it, in the most absolute sense, in God’s shewing mercy to whom he will show mercy, and hardening whom he will. God’s absolute sovereignty and justice, with respect to salvation and damnation, is what my mind seems to rest assured of, as much as of any thing that I see with my eyes, at least it is so at times. The doctrine has very often appeared exceeding pleasant, bright, and sweet. Absolute sovereignty is what I love to ascribe to God." (Jonathan Edwards, Selections [New York: Hill and Wang, 1962], pp. 58-59).

I do experience such sweetness in my heart to trust and obey such a merciful and loving God. This hymn came to mind:

    When I survey the wondrous cross
    On which the Prince of glory died,
    My richest gain I count but loss,
    And pour contempt on all my pride.


    Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
    Save in the death of Christ my God!
    All the vain things that charm me most,
    I sacrifice them to His blood.


    See from His head, His hands, His feet,
    Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
    Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
    Or thorns compose so rich a crown?


    Were the whole realm of nature mine,
    That were a present far too small;
    Love so amazing, so divine,
    Demands my soul, my life, my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment