Friday 13 November 2015

For He Who promised is Faithful.

I am on a train heading to Toronto for a conference. This is a big annual conference for family doctors practicing in Canada. One of the main reasons for attending this conference is to reconnect with colleagues from other parts of Canada. Cam is from the province of British Columbia. He and I have developed a deep friendship over the years. I remember one year Cam and I shared stories of our journey as Christ followers and in particular, the pain of seeing our children suffering from mental illnesses and wandering away from the faith they once held. We shed tears as we prayed for each other. One of the things Cam encouraged me with and I still remember to this day is that God loves our children better than we can. It is a real comfort to be reminded of that. It helps me to trust God and to depend on Him ever more deeply. So as we met again yesterday, I was reminded again how Jesus laid down His life for us. His agony for the pain - not just physical, but also the burden of carrying the sins of the world and being forsaken by His Father (even though briefly) was shown clearly in the Garden of Gethsemane. Gotquestions.org summaries the 4 Gospel accounts of what happened in that garden:
"Each of the Gospel writers describes the events of that night with slight variations, so reading the four accounts (Matthew 26:36-56, Mark 14:32-52, Luke 22:40-53 and John 18:1-11) will give an accurate picture of that momentous night in its entirety."
Luke in particular, described it this way: "And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground"

His sweat was like drops of blood! How often do I feel that much pain for my loved ones that I pray for them like that?

The scripture passage I read today reminded me once again the importance of meeting with fellow Christians and encouraging one another in the Lord.
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Hebrews 10:24-25)

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." (Hebrews 10:23)

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

Christ died for sinners. Now just think about that every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment