Friday 8 January 2016

Seek first his Kingdom and his Righteousness

I went for a job interview yesterday. After working in the same place for almost 20 years I thought it would be good to finish my career with more focus (on improving palliative care services). So I applied for the job. I had my wife and a church elder praying for me. I asked my elder brother to pray that I will be like Jesus - who is full of grace and truth (John 1:14). I think the prayer was answered. There was a peace in my heart that "surpasses all understanding" (Philippians 4:7) and I was able to present my vision for the job with passion and sincerity. Now the outcome is in God's hand. I'll know in a week or so.

I had to do some heart searching as well - I have a comfortable job now so why risk it? I want to work less as part of my retirement plan (this position is only for two days a week) but do I need a well paying job to pad the transition? Has not God provided all that I have needed so far? Or is it because of pride? Anyways, confusing thought. If this job is God's will for me I am sure the devil will be hard at work to dissuade me (for he is a liar and an accuser - John 8:44 and Revelation 12:10).

The scripture reading this morning was very reassuring. First, I read in the Old Testament the account of Abraham sacrificing his son Isaac (Genesis 22:1-18). At the last minute, he was provided a ram in place of his son. It says in verse 14: So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”. The Hebrew word for "The Lord Will Provide" is Jehovah-jireh - it is in God's nature that He will provide all our needs. The mountain where God provided Abraham the ram is in the land of Moriah. As I was waiting for my interview on the 16th floor of Cancer Care Ontario, I looked out the window and this Psalm came to mind: I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 121)

The New Testament reading was equally reassuring. In Matthews 6:19-34 I was reminded of two important life lessons:
  1. Go for treasures in heaven - Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (verses 19-21)
  2. Do not worry -  So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (verses 31-34)

This is liberating! Getting old, thinking about retirement, figuring out what else to do to bring meaning to life, will I need health insurance after I quit the university, on and on and on. Today I am at peace (despite not being able to sleep well last night). I am in God's loving hand. Just thinking about this brings tears to my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment