Friday 29 April 2016

Treating Poverty

Spent the morning in a workshop on Treating Poverty. It was quite an eye opener. After 30 years in clinical practice I must confess there is still a lot I don't know about the impact of poverty and what I can do to make a difference. I don't like filling out forms for patients. I have learned to accept it as part of my business as a doctor. But now I can feel confident that doing these benefit forms can make a difference in my patient's health. I should do it with that in mind. It should make a difference in my attitude towards it.

I was looking into the scripture passages I read today (1 Kings 6–7; Luke 20:27-47) to see if the Lord has something to tell me on the poverty subject. Well, 1 King 6-7 is about King Solomon building the Temple and his Palace - no expense was spared! This wealth and big show didn't do Solomon any good. He would eventually fall away from following God. In Luke 20:46-47 Jesus sent out this warning:
Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely.” I think this warning is for me too. Oh how I am so easily tempted to go after worldly honor and success!

Compassion is a charity I support for many years. It has a very good resource on "What the Bible Says About Poverty". These selected passages speak to me the most:

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy" (Proverbs 31:8-9)

"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I." (Isaiah 58:6-11)

"Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." (1 John 3:17)


As I anticipate retirement in a couple of months, I look forward to many more opportunities to increase my service for the poor. Lord, guide me to the place I know you love to be the most - among the poor. Once again you reminded me:
The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:40)

No comments:

Post a Comment