Saturday 7 May 2016

On my 65th birthday

Today is my 65th birthday. Here I am sitting on my porch enjoying the glorious morning sun and reading God's word. He blessed me with Luke 24 - Jesus Has Risen! Isn't this exactly what I need to carry me through the rest of my life's journey - that the Lord has risen? Isn't this the gospel that has saved me and that which I am to be the ambassador for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20)?

"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born."

"And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied." (1Corinthians 15:1-15, 14-19)

It is with the assurance that Christ was indeed raised from the dead that this verse becomes my motto to launch into new and exciting ministries after my retirement:
"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
(1 Corinthians 15:58)

I posted this my favorite hymn on my Facebook to mark my retirement (YouTube):
1. Lord, in the fullness of my might,
I would for Thee be strong:
While runneth o’er each dear delight,
To Thee should soar my song.

2. I would not give the world my heart,
And then profess Thy love;
I would not feel my strength depart,
And then Thy service prove.

3. I would not with swift wingèd zeal
On the world’s errands go,
And labor up the heavenly hill
With weary feet and slow.

4. O not for Thee my weak desires,
My poorer, baser part!
O not for Thee my fading fires,
The ashes of my heart!

5. O choose me in my golden time:
In my clear joys have part!
For Thee the glory of my prime,
The fullness of my heart!


By Thomas H. Gill
Source: The Cyber Hymnal #3687

These thoughts are so precious to me. Thank you Lord for reminding me of these truths on my 65th birthday! Like these two disciples who met the Risen Christ on the Road to Emmaus; after Jesus disappeared "They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?”" (Luke 24:32)
Now that's a good heart burnt to have!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment