Friday 16 September 2016

Benefits of Giving Generously

Coming from a poor background money has always been very important to me. Sad to say I once fought with a friend over a dime back in College days (mind you, a MacDonald hamburger cost only one dime then!). Now that money and material goods are in good supply, I still find myself hesitating over when to give or not to give. And when I think I give more than others I often feel proud inside as if I am better than others. I have prayed over this a lot and God is helping me to change even though I will always struggle a bit. Only the grace of God that fills me daily will I be free from my lack of generosity.

Today St Paul found himself boasting over the generosity of the church in Corinth. "For I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it to the Macedonians, telling them that since last year you in Achaia were ready to give; and your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action." (2 Corinthians 9:2) Their enthusiasm in giving set an example for another church in Macedonia! But the promise they made must be accompanied by action and right attitude. So St Paul would send other brothers to help them. "So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to visit you in advance and finish the arrangements for the generous gift you had promised. Then it will be ready as a generous gift, not as one grudgingly given." (2 Corinthians 9:5)

I apply this personally by setting a yearly budget to give regularly. I make a list of the missionaries and charitable organizations I will be supporting that year and prayerfully ask the Lord to guide me to give generously, and to give cheerfully. I also anticipate that throughout the year other necessity to give will arise. My wife and I will prayerfully consider giving on top of the regular giving. In today's Scripture reading I have found plenty of good reasons for giving:
  • Spiritual harvest is directly proportional to giving - "Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously." (verses 6)
  • It gives God delight - "God loves a cheerful giver." (verse 7)
  • I will experience God's abundant provision and righteousness - "God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (verse 8)
  • My life will be enriched and it will result in thanksgiving to God (from me and from those who have received the gifts) - "You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God." (verse 11)
  • I will receive the gift of their prayers in return - "And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. " (verse 14)
It really is a gift from God to be able to share God's abundant blessings with others. When St Paul thought about the situation in the church in Corinth, he burst out "Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!" (verse 15) I am thinking that he wasn't just thinking about the wonderful response of God's people in generous giving. He was giving thanks for the greatest (indescribable) gift from God - the gift of His Son Jesus:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)
"He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? " (Romans 8:32)

No comments:

Post a Comment