Sunday 3 February 2013

Another lesson from Jonah

This is the third time I have mentioned Jonah in my blog. The lesson I learned from Jonah (or the Book of Jonah) came as a surprise answer to prayer this week. I was sharing with my prayer group that I needed wisdom and power to enable me to share more openly about my faith in Jesus. Not sure if anyone took me seriously and actually prayed for me but here it is - a real answer to prayer.

My wife discovered this website which has a collection of sermons by Tim Keller, who is one of our favorite preachers. He once preached in a UK conference a series of 3 sermons on Evangelism based on the Book of Jonah. These are the titles and links to the mp3 download:
(1) Smashing False Idols: Gospel Realisation
(2) Smashing False Idols: Gospel Communication
(3) Smashing False Idols: Gospel Incarnation

The first thing I learned from Jonah is that the reason he ran away from God was because he hated the sinful and corrupt Ninevites and didn't want to see them saved. He was so self-righteous that he couldn't see why God would want to save them. Indeed, when he finally arrived in Nineveh his message was anything but gracious. He essentially condemned them and threatened them with God's complete destruction! This story causes me to examine myself: (1) do I see those around me (even the unlovable and my enemies) as God's creature for whom Jesus died? (2) am I so concerned about my good appearance that looking perfect has become my idol? (3) am I so concerned that if I speak about Jesus that others will think less of me? Have I become my own idol? The idol theme has been a good one, more about that later.

The second thing I learned from Jonah is that in my gospel presentation to non-believers I should distinguish the three groups of people: the religious, the irreligious, and the gospel believing people. The religious and the irreligious both run away from God. The story of Jonah in the run away ship illustrates this point very well. Jonah, who is God's spokesperson was running away from God on the same ship with the irreligious sinful sailors! There are other passages in scripture that highlighted the same message, the sermon on the mount and the parable of the prodigal son are among Tim Keller's favorites. Jonah's story helps me to be more humble when I present the gospel to others. I should focus more on the grace of God and the love of Jesus rather than on emphasis on personal morality. In our culture, most people already think that becoming a Christian means becoming a better person and leaving all the bad habits. What they haven't heard is that everyone needs something to believe in, whether it's personal accomplishments, or the love from someone, or being accepted, or looking pretty etc. We have to demonstrate that these "blessings" are not ultimately satisfying. Tim Keller uses the story of Jacob wrestling with God and how ultimately God blesses him. Both God and Jacob lost in that wrestling match. Jacob resulted in a permanent limp and God became a humble human being and suffered and died on the cross.

Tim Keller does a fantastic job explaining these. I will listen to these messages again at least one more time. The reason that it is an answered prayer is not so much that I will completely change my way today. These messages have helped me further along in my weak and feeble way. Tim Keller likens it to putting coins in a Coke machine but the Coke bottle doesn't fall. You have to shake the machine until you "hear the pennies fall". I am waiting for that but while I am waiting, I will remember the story of Jonah. I will check my attitudes frequently and dispose of my idols (here is that word again!). I will replace them with the only true and lasting object which deserves my wholehearted worship for the rest of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment