Monday 25 February 2013

Talitha koum!

"Talitha koum!” means “Little girl, I say to you, get up!”
The name Jairus means "God enlightens"

The story in Mark 5:21-43 described how Jesus raised to life Jairus' dead daughter. She was 12 years old. This story is an important story as it is recorded in three of the four gospels (Matthew 9:18-26, Luke 8:40-53) . It had also inspired many paintings. These are two of my favorites:


Ilya Efimovich Repin, The Resurrection of Jairus' Daughter
Rembrant, Christ raises Jairus' daughter
I wonder why Jairus is not a very popular name. It has a great meaning (God enlightens), and he is certainly a good role model for us when it comes to his faith in Christ. I wonder how many times he would tell his daughter in the course of her life how Christ has given her life back. I wonder what he would say in his father-of-the-bride speech!

In contrast, those who were gathered in the house mourning over the death of such a young life, what were they thinking when Jesus said to them: “Go away. The girl is not dead but asleep.” Well, they laughed at Jesus. I hope I don't doubt and say ridiculous thing when someone else prays to God for complete healing. I sometimes let my medical knowledge cloud my spiritual vision. Jesus is able to raise someone even from the dead. He certainly can heal our illnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment