Sunday 5 May 2013

Paying taxes

I delayed writing this blog until after filing my income tax. I want to use the opportunity to read through the scripture passages on this subject again and to explore it further.

The subject of paying taxes to Caesar can be found in three of the Gospels:
Matthews 22:15-22
Mark 12:13-17
Luke 20:20-26


All three passages are remarkably similar:

  • The Pharisees, who were teachers of the law including the chief priests, along with the Herodians (possibly a political party), were looking for ways to catch Jesus saying something they can use to accuse him of.
  • They began their question by complimenting Jesus' integrity and his teaching that is in accordance to God's law.
  • The question was "Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?". 
  • Jesus' answer includes an object lesson: he asked them to show him a denarius. "Whose image and inscription are on it?"
  • His answer on the subject of paying taxes: "give back to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's".
  • The questioners left astonished at Jesus' answer. They were unsuccessful in finding anything to accuse him of. (Note in Luke 23:2 these same people lied and accused Jesus of teaching his disciples not to pay tax to Caesar!)
Wikipedia has a very good write up on the "Render unto Caesar" theme, including the historical context and some of the modern interpretations.


Up until a few weeks ago, my understanding of this Gospel narrative has been along these lines:
  • Paying tax honestly is my duty as a Christian. God wants me to act righteously in this area, as in "Do not steal. Do not lie. Do you deceive one another" (Leviticus 19:11).
  • Paying tax is my duty as a citizen of this country. It's a way for me to pay for my share to support the government infrastructure and to (indirectly) help those who are in need of public support. My wife calls it a donation to the government! I think this relates to Paul's teaching in Roman 13:1-7 where he expounded on the theme of submitting to governing authorities: "this is why you also pay taxes" (verse 6).
  • I don't think this "Paying taxes to Caesar" theme speaks to the matter of generous and cheerful giving by trusting God on his rich provision, as in 2 Corinthians 9:7
  • I also don't think it is related to the "Paying the Temple Tax" theme in Matthews 17:24-27. BibleGateway.com has a very nice commentary on this.

Recently in a sermon by Bruxy Cavey "Jesus the Teacher" he said something quite new and remarkable. He shifted my focus on this Jesus' teaching: "give back to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's" from Caesar to God! This teaching has more to say than paying taxes. It teaches me to give my entire life to God. I belong to God. For "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Gal 2:20). Now that's a new perspective!



Do I still feel annoyed by how much tax I paid? Yes. Do I try every possible means to reduce my tax? Maybe a little less. I have been so richly blessed with what I have been given. I feel less compelled to keep more of it for myself. Sometimes I can be quite distracted by all the things I have to do in order to reduce my tax that I have less of myself for God. I think Jesus has and will continue to have something to say about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment