Friday 28 November 2014

Am I a Watchman or a sheep of the Great Shepherd?

I am doing my morning scripture reading on Sanibel Island, Florida. I have had problem maintaining my spiritual discipline whenever I travel. It seems that I can be easily distracted by a new routine. Not that I feel I deserve "a break" for I really do treasure my time alone with the Lord listening to His voice through His word, it's just that my regular routine is broken. Oh that I long for a permanent home where I will "dwell in the house of the Lord forever" (Psalm 23:6).

The scripture reading this morning is from Ezekiel 33-34 and 1 Peter 5. A number of ideas came to mind. My wife reminded me that Watchman Nee got his name from Ezekiel 33. His famous quote:
"Christ is the Son of God who died for the redemption of sinners and resurrected after three days. This is the greatest truth in the universe. I die because of my belief in Christ." (watchmannee.org)
However, I was unable to find a direct association of his name with Ezekiel 33. The site apologeticsindex.org has this to say about his name:
"Nee was born Nee Shi-Tsu in November 1903. His mother, a Methodist mission convert, later changed his name to "Bell ringer," or Watchman, with all the Christian connotations. He claimed conversion to Christianity in April 1920"
The article went on to caution the readers that Watchman Nee's theology was very concerning:
"When a Christian begins to see Nee as a guide in determining the value of other Christian writers, or sees Nee's writings as a key to spirituality, that person is headed for trouble. Nee's presuppositions are suspect in light of the Word of God. His books provide grist for cult groups such as The Way, The Alamo Foundation, the Children of God and other groups. The astute believer should watch out for Watchman Nee."
What I also learned was that I had confused his name with a certain Witness Lee, who along with Watchman Nee wrote this article concerning the visions of Ezekiel. Enough said about Watchman Nee.

But there is a reason why I dwell on this concept of a watchman. Throughout my Christian life I have been compelled by the thought that my Christian responsibility is like that of a watchman - to warn the non-believers of the impending doom (God's judgement of hell fire). If I don't tell everyone I meet about the salvation offered by God, his blood will be on my head (Ezekiel 33:6)! And I must say that the motivation of telling others about Jesus has turned to more of saving my own neck than to demonstrate Christ's love. I know that can't be true.

It is very interesting that Ezekiel followed the watchman metaphor (chapter 33) with the shepherd metaphor (chapter 34). In fact it is very comforting that Ezekiel predicted the coming of the one shepherd (Jesus):
"I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd. I the Lord will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the Lord have spoken." (Ezekiel 34:23-24). We are but sheep of His pasture:"You are my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign Lord." (Ezekiel 34:31).
The promise was that there would be peace and justice in the land. The difference between a watchman and a sheep of the great Shepherd is that the gung-ho Sovereign Lord will accomplish this!
"Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord: As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, because my flock lacks a shepherd... I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land. I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in all the settlements in the land. I will tend them in a good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel will be their grazing land. There they will lie down in good grazing land, and there they will feed in a rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice." (Ezekiel 34:7-16)

What a coincidence (or God's providence)! 1 Peter 5 also talks about the shepherd and the flock:
"Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away." (1 Peter 5:2-4)

So I am both a shepherd of God's flock and a sheep of His pasture. The love of God does compel me to share the gospel (2 Corinthians 5:14), but with the right motivation. I can also rest on the assurance that God is always at work to bring salvation to mankind and I am His ambassador (2 Corinthians 5:20).

Lord, thank you for your love! When your people shared your love with me I came to know you as my own Savior and Lord. Today when I meet different people on my vacation, help me see them as people you love and have sent your Son to die for. May there be opportunity to share that great story of Christ's cross and resurrection. Amen!

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:6-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment