Thursday 24 December 2015

The Righteous will Live by Faith - O Come, O Come Emmanuel

I am writing my blog a day early because tomorrow is Christmas Day and in my home we have a custom of reading the scripture, singing a Christmas carol or two, then opening up our presents. With all my children and their partners home and a big turkey dinner to prepare, I figure I won't find the time or the solitude to write my blog. So here it is.

My scripture reading this morning was from the Book of Habakkuk (all 3 chapters). Here is the passage that spoke to me:

"I heard and my heart pounded,
    my lips quivered at the sound;
decay crept into my bones,
    and my legs trembled.
Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity
    to come on the nation invading us.


Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.

 

The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights
." (Habakkuk 3:16-19)

This is a brief overview that provides some context to the Book of Habakkuk:
The book of Habakkuk was written around 612-589 B.C. just before the fall of Judah in the Southern Kingdom. Like other prophets at that time Habakkuk was identifying the wickedness and sin of Judah and declared that they would be judged. In chapter one, Habakkuk asked God why evil was prevailing. God claimed that He would do amazing things that, “you would not believe if you were told” (verse 1:5). All of the surrounding neighbors who were super powers at that time would fall in ruin, as no one expected. Babylon was a growing empire that would rule over everything, for a time. In chapter two, God answered Habakkuk's question. He urged everyone to be patient and ultimately trust in Him. ''Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; but the righteous will live by his faith” (verse 2:4, quoted by the apostle Paul and tied it to the Gospel in Romans 1:17). In chapter three, Habakkuk gave God the glory and praise for faithfully responding to his questions, “LORD, I have heard the report about You and I fear. O LORD, revive Your work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy” (verse 3:2).

So on Christmas Eve, the day before the birth of Jesus Christ, I am thinking - the world can be a pretty hostile place for many. Good people suffer and nasty and greedy people succeed. Like Habakkuk, I do question God from time to time and wonder if He is really all that loving. But I am reminded of this great gospel truth: "The Word Became Flesh" (John 1:14). I learned last Sunday from Bruxy Cavey's sermon that the word "Flesh" comes from the Greek word "sarx" which means: our fallen, weakened, bent away from God nature. Because the Word became flesh, we have a high priest who is able to empathize with our weaknesses, one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet He did not sin (Hebrews 4:15). So I live by faith, and echo Habakkuk's words - "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails... yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."
"The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights
."

O Come, O Come Emmanuel!

No comments:

Post a Comment