Friday 15 January 2016

The kingdom of heaven has come near

Today's scripture reading includes Matthew 10. This is a fresh look at a familiar passage. Firstly, I learned that chapter 10 of Matthews comes right after the familiar instruction by Jesus to his disciples, and therefore to us today:
The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” (Matthew 9:37-38)

As Jesus' disciple, I must learn to see as Jesus sees. He sees needy people everywhere. He also sees that many of them desire to enter into a relationship with Him. But how will they know the way to Jesus if nobody tells them?
But how can people call for help if they don’t know who to trust? And how can they know who to trust if they haven’t heard of the One who can be trusted? And how can they hear if nobody tells them? And how is anyone going to tell them, unless someone is sent to do it? That’s why Scripture exclaims, A sight to take your breath away! Grand processions of people telling all the good things of God! But not everybody is ready for this, ready to see and hear and act. Isaiah asked what we all ask at one time or another: “Does anyone care, God? Is anyone listening and believing a word of it?” The point is: Before you trust, you have to listen. But unless Christ’s Word is preached, there’s nothing to listen to. (Romans 10:14 MSG translation)

So I am to regularly (in obedience) ask the Lord of the harvest to send someone out to this harvest field. Guess who this someone is? Me! It is a great reminder that the purpose of prayer is to cause a change in my heart and not to change God. Chapter 10 of Matthew might as well be the "Great Commission" (the term is often referred to Matthew 28:16-20) because it contains much more details not only the What, but also the How of Jesus' commission.

Secondly, I must remember that Jesus gave me His authority to go. "Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness." (Matthew 10:1) Jesus has all the authority I need. "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." (Matthew 28:18) This is not authority to lord over people but authority to do the service (of healing - physically and spiritually) for people in order to earn their trust to listen to this message: "The kingdom of heaven has come near." (Matthew 10:7) Jesus will be explaining what this kingdom is using many parables (Matthew 13) but there are plenty of glimpses into this kingdom throughout this chapter already.

Thirdly, I am to begin where I am. As the apostles in Matthew 10 were sent only to the Jews living around the towns of Galilee (Matthew 10:5-6), I am to begin my service to those people immediately around me, my family, my neighborhood, and my work place. This idea is reinforced in Acts 1:8 and Roman 1:16. But God's kingdom will include anyone who trusts Jesus everywhere in the world.

Fourthly, "Freely you have received; freely give." (Matthew 10:8) What a reminder! In God's kingdom we have received freely all the privileges and love as His citizens. My acts of service is but handing out what we have been freely given. Likewise receiving support from others in His kingdom  is to be expected and welcomed. So I must not think that I need to be self-sufficient to do God's work. How else can I learn to trust and depend on God?

Fifthly, “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthews 10:16) Don't forget the kingdom of darkness is still at work. "Both the snake-intelligence and the dove-innocence are both designed to keep the sheep out of trouble. Jesus does not mean for us to get ourselves into as much difficulty as possible. He means: Risk your lives as vulnerable, non-combative, sheep-like, courageous witnesses, but try to find ways to give your witness in a way that does not bring down unnecessary persecution." (John Piper) And "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28) I am well protected in God's kingdom. After all, He is in control!

Lastly, "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward." (Matthew 10:42) In God's kingdom, little acts of kindness to the least deserving still counts.

Now Lord, here am I, send me (Isaiah 6:8). If only those around me even get a glimpse of your beautiful light, they will come running towards you. Can I be the little light that points them to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment