Friday 19 August 2016

Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord

I am by training an engineer and a medical doctor. I think in concrete terms. Philosophy is definitely not my strong suit. I am also more of an action oriented person, even as it relates to living out my faith. Contemplative discipline is very foreign to me. I rarely spend enough time on meditation and my prayers tend to focus on needs rather than worship. I am discovering that other dimension as I now have more time in my retirement to read and to pray.

I recently finished reading "The Seven Storey Mountain" by Thomas Merton. This book has a very strong effect on me. First, the story of Merton's conversion was very encouraging. He also introduced the contemplative and mystical dimension of a believer's journey with such fascination. It is helpful to know what it's like to practice this discipline. I too long for a deeper relationship with God. Lastly his love for the saints (Augustine, St John of the Cross etc.) and the practices of the Roman Catholic Church stimulated me to want to learn more. I went to the library and pulled out a bunch of books on Merton and Augustine, or anything else related to them:

I also watched a couple of DVD's on Merton's life:

I have come to know this person more. He really opened my eyes to the contemplative and mystical dimension of my faith, which had remained unexplored to this day. He also prompted me to think more deeply concerning peace and civil action in areas like pro-life and race relation. My next book is Saint Augustine's Confessions. It's a much easier book to read than the City of God. Looking forward to it.

The brilliance of Thomas Merton both as an author and an activist is in some way an illustration of what St Paul was saying in 1 Corinthians chapters 1 and 2. Here Paul was dealing with a young church with it's share of growing pain. Paul, who most scholars would agree, was a brilliant man. Here he argued that:

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”[Isaiah 29:24] Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength." (1 Corinthians 1:18-25)

"For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power." (1 Corinthians 2:2-5)

"What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words."  (1 Corinthians 2:12-13)

Many attempted to explain why "The Seven Storey Mountain" became an instant best seller. They pointed out the moral vacuum after the second world war and the widespread search for deeper meaning in life. Yet the book is still to this day a relevant book and it has helped a person like me to discover God in a deeper way. It challenged me again to think and act differently from the "wisdom of this world" and these are three lessons for today:
  • My worth is found in Jesus and Him alone (not degrees and accomplishments)
  • Doing less is sometimes doing more (spend more time with Him)
  • A simple message (of the Cross) is active and powerful to someone ready to hear

Oh that the Name of Jesus be lifted up! If I should gain anything while living in this world - may His Name be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment