Friday 2 September 2016

Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord

I was quite impressed with Psalms 139 when I read it again this morning. There are the familiar verses that speak of
(1) God's Omniscience - especially his intimate and full knowledge of my being:
You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.

You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

(Psalms 139:1-6)

Jeremy Troxler gave this sermon "Hemmed In" to a group of student pastors and I quote:
  • "This is the God for whom there are no anonymous sheep, to whom nobody is a write-off, for whom no one is lost in the crowd. The personal God who loves the number one: one lost sheep, one missing coin, one sinner lost and found." 
  • "The Hebrew word for “hem in” used here doesn’t mean cuddle. It doesn’t refer to a protective embrace, a great big bearhug, or to being wrapped in Bubble Wrap. The word for “hem in” is the word used when a city is laid under siege. “You besiege me, O God.” You hem me in. You besiege me. You entrap me. You encircle me. You beleaguer me, behind and before. You will not leave me alone."
  • "It is a fearful thing to be known by God. We do not want to be known, but this searching, all-knowing God won’t leave us alone. This God will not go away. We tried to kill him, and even that wouldn’t work. Jesus just came back and said, “Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age,” and you wonder sometimes with the psalmist whether that is a promise or a threat. Post-Easter, “Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?”" (Psalms 139:7)
  • "The surrender to the siege is a sweet one. For the God of unconditional surrender is the God of unconditional love. The God who won’t let us escape is also the God who fearfully and wonderfully made us in the first place." (see Psalms 139:14)

(2) God's Omnipresence - He is not just everywhere. He is with me everywhere I go!
Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.

(Psalms 139:7-12)

I see the same parallel. God besieges me even when I choose to hide in darkness. He is there to light up my path to guide me back to the light.

(3) God my Creator - not only the physical form like the other creation, but my inner being ordained for an eternal purpose:
For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand—
    when I awake, I am still with you.

(Psalms 139:13-18)

(4) But wait! In Psalms 139:19-22 am I to hate my enemies?
If only you, God, would slay the wicked!
    Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
They speak of you with evil intent;
    your adversaries misuse your name.
Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord,
    and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
I have nothing but hatred for them;
    I count them my enemies.


This seems to go against Jesus' command to love our enemies (Matthews 5:43-48 and Luke 6:27-36). My initial thought was that the Psalmist was not talking about his enemies but God's. So are we okay to love those who hate us but hate those who hate God? I don't think so! For He has shown us that "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!" (Romans 5:8-10)

John Piper wrote a good article on these verses ("Do I Not Hate Those Who Hate You, O Lord? - The Verses We Skipped". I'll summarize here in my own words mixed in with his:
  • There is a group of Psalms called “imprecatory psalmswhich calls down divine curses for the enemies of God. In these Psalms there is some evidence that love for the enemy has been tried but has apparently been resisted.
  • Both Jesus and St. Paul have quoted from these Psalms, e.g. Psalms 69, by Jesus: John 15:25 = Psalm 69:4, “They hated me without cause.” John 2:17 = Psalm 69:9, “Zeal for your house has eaten me up.” Matthew 27:24 = Psalm 69:21, “They gave me gall for my food.”; by St. Paul: Romans 11:9–10 = Psalm 69:22–23; Romans 15:3 = Psalms 69:9 “The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me.”. This is the same Psalm which prays, “Pour out your indignation on them, and let your burning anger overtake them” (Psalm 69:24)! Paul regarded King David's words of imprecation as inspired and not sinful, personal words of vengeance.
  • The word hate may be interpreted as moral repugnance and not personal vengeance - a bit like the expression "hate the sin but love the sinner". According to John Piper: "There is a kind of hate for the sinner (viewed as morally corrupt and hostile to God) that may coexist with pity and even a desire for their salvation. You may hate spinach without opposing its good use."
  • But there may come a point when wickedness is so persistent and high-handed and God-despising that the time of redemption is past and there only remain irremediable wickedness and judgment. For example, Jesus speaks of unforgivable sin (Matthew 12:32) and John says there is sin that is “unto death” and adds, “I do not say that one should pray for this” (1 John 5:16). And Paul says, “If anyone does not love the Lord, let him be accursed” (1 Corinthians 16:22). This imprecation is like the Psalms, and assumes that there comes a point of such extended, hardened, high-handed lovelessness toward God that it may be appropriate to call down anathema on it.
Fortunately I don't have to worry about deciding whether an enemy has met the above criteria so I can hate him. The Lord promises that He will
"Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting
."
(Psalms 139:23-24)

Leave divine justice to God! Enjoy His omniscience and omnipresence. Submit to His creative plan for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment