Wednesday 5 October 2016

My Father Loves Me: "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus"

This is a very familiar verse. I have used Philippians 1:6 many times, quoted in a card of encouragement, or to a new believer on the day of Baptism. What I learned today - or that it had come afresh to me in my adoration of the Father - is that I often quoted only the second half of the verse: "he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus". But today the first part of the verse "being confident of this" impressed me the most. What is the basis of Paul's confidence? After all, he was sitting in a jail cell as he wrote the letter (see verses 1:13-14); there were people out there preaching "out of envy and rivalry" (verse 1:15); and the uncertainty that he might soon be martyred (verse 20-24).

I think the key is in verse 19: "for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance." Paul knows! And it's not just head knowledge. He had spent his life since his conversion building a loving relationship with his Heavenly Father! He knows that this loving Father not only provides him with a community of believers who intercede on his behalf, but also the Spirit of Jesus Christ which nobody can lock out of his life!

I recently learned a very good lesson on loving your enemy. I think it was from Thomas More's diary. It had to do with Saint Paul being an accomplice to the murdering of Saint Stephen (Acts 7). Saint Stephen, fully equipped by the grace of his Father, openly forgave him. Guess what they are both doing right now?! They are both at the bosom of their heavenly Father, in love with the Father and with each other!! So we are to love our enemy! You never know, my enemy may end up in heaven with me!

Oh how the knowledge of my Father's love can transform me! Spend time with Him! Listen to Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment