Friday 11 November 2016

Post American Election - Thoughts and Prayers

Today's scripture reading is from Jeremiah 50 and Hebrews 8. Jeremiah 50 is a clear prophetic message predicting what will happen to the great empire of Babylon (Jeremiah 50:1). I couldn't help but to relate this to the fall of many other great empires (Assyria, Roman, Greek, etc); and of course the doom and gloom prediction of what would happen to the United States of America with the election of a very unpopular president. My views on who I would vote for (no, I am not an American - so it's purely theoretical!) have changed quite dramatically since becoming a Catholic. I have gained a much better understanding on what issues are (or should be) central in making a selection - like abortion, euthanasia, and who to bring to the supreme court. I am much less critical towards many brothers and sisters who had chosen to vote for this elected president. I was much less emotionally charged watching the election result coming in and was pretty much at peace knowing that God is sovereign. I look forward to seeing what God would do even with this very faulty man. Now it's the time that God's people need to turn their face towards God:
In those days, at that time,” declares the Lord,
“the people of Israel and the people of Judah together will go in tears to seek the Lord their God.
They will ask the way to Zion and turn their faces toward it.
They will come and bind themselves to the Lord in an everlasting covenant that will not be forgotten.
” (Jeremiah 50:4-5)

The fall of Babylon (indeed, as was true for other great empires) was the result of pride:
“See, I am against you, you arrogant one,” declares the Lord, the Lord Almighty,
“for your day has come, the time for you to be punished.
The arrogant one will stumble and fall and no one will help her up;
I will kindle a fire in her towns that will consume all who are around her.
” (Jeremiah 50:31-32)

The Lord will redeem His people (who will survive during this horrible time of destruction):
Yet their Redeemer is strong; the Lord Almighty is his name.
He will vigorously defend their cause so that he may bring rest to their land, but unrest to those who live in Babylon.
(Jeremiah 50:34)

We have ground to be hopeful. For God has already brought about this redemption through a new covenant (promise) made possible by the blood of Christ (see Jeremiah 31:31-34 which has been quoted verbatim in today's New Testament reading in Hebrews 8:7-13).

I found this Ignatian prayer (modified and made personal) quite suitable for this post-election time. I will try to do this prayer (for America and Canada) daily throughout this week:

(1) Begin with a prayer of gratitude
Consider current realities of US and Canada—for what and for whom am I most grateful?

(2) Ask for God’s guidance
Invite the Spirit of God to illuminate my reflection.

(3) Enlightened by the Spirit, prayerfully review US and Canada at this point in history; pay attention to my emotions and reactions.
• What energizes me or brings me closer to God as I reflect on my country?
• What distracts me or makes me feel farther from God as I reflect on my country?
• What is the current situation of my brothers and sisters, particularly those who are most vulnerable and often marginalized by poverty and injustice?
• What are the ways that my identity and privileges shape my perspective and vision for my country?
• Allow my honest reactions, emotions, and desires to surface.


(4) Conversation with God
• Consider perhaps one or two of the strongest desires or feelings evoked by my prayer about my country and bring this to God.
• Engage God in conversation over these desires or feelings, speaking simply, clearly, directly, and honestly
• What is God’s desire for people who are marginalized by poverty and injustice?
• What areas of my life/my nation’s life do I rejoice in and celebrate fidelity to Gospel values?
• Listen with my heart—how is God present to me through my reactions and desires?









(5) Prayer of renewal and resolution
As I look forward to be governed by the new leaders, how will I promote the common good? Ask God for the assistance I need to enact the greater, more lasting good for all God’s people. Is there a specific attitude I want to cultivate or an action I want to take? Entrust my desires and intentions to God’s grace.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you David for your sharing, especially on the Ignatian Prayer! I'll attend a Catholic gathering at the Kowloon Wah Yan College (a Jesuit College) this afternoon. It will be a very meaningful gathering whereby many HKU Katso members (alumni of HKU Catholic Society) will come together for a mass and a dinner. Our Reverend Cardinal Tong Hon will be our guest of honour!

    ReplyDelete