Friday 30 December 2016

A New Heaven and a New Earth

2016 will turn out to be the most significant year of my spiritual life. I have come home! This is new and exciting as I have rediscovered what my spiritual home is really like. I wrote a blog about it a couple of weeks before. As this year draws to an end, I reflect on a number of important areas in which I have grown - worship, prayer, scripture and church teaching, faith and work, and most importantly the grace of God which came upon me when I first received Baptism, and now through the sacraments of Confession and the Holy Eucharist. Life is at its best!

In today's scripture reading of Revelation 21, I am reminded of what is the best yet to come - the New Heaven and the New Earth!
Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” (Revelation 21:1-4)

These first few verses of Revelation 21 describe the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecies in Isaiah 65:17-25 and Isaiah 25:8. What I learned today is that the new heaven and new earth began when Jesus was born and will be completely fulfilled when He comes again. That's why the Advent was celebrated for Christ's Second Coming as well as His birth (First Coming). For the first time in my faith journey I finally understand what I should expect when my life on earth ends based on the church's authoritative teaching on the subject. I also understand more fully why my colleague Dr. David McCann was so joyful when he was looking forward to his death a few weeks before he passed.

This is a 4 minute explanation by Tim Staples (one of my new favorite teachers) of what the New Heaven and New Earth is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BGVeK047pZ4
 Or you can watch it here: http://www.catholic.com/video/what-is-the-new-earth-and-the-new-heaven-in-revelations

So 2016 is the year I rediscovered the New Heaven and the New Earth also. I am in it! And the best is yet to come! Praise God!! Now there is a great reason to celebrate. I don't think I am going to watch the balloon drop in New York Times Square. I am going to spend time with church friends to give thanks as well as to remind myself I am one year closer to my heavenly home!

p.s. I just picked up Peter Kreeft's book "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Heaven". I am going to finish reading it today or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment