Friday 16 December 2016

Seek the Lord and Live!

Today's scripture reading (Amos 4-6; Revelation 7 - from Bible in a Year reading plan) and Daily Readings (Isaiah 56:1-3a, 6-8; Psalms 67; John 5:33-36)  at the Mass this morning have a lot in common. Isaiah 56:6-7 is particularly encouraging:
And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
    to minister to him,
to love the name of the Lord,
    and to be his servants,
all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
    and who hold fast to my covenant—
these I will bring to my holy mountain
    and give them joy in my house of prayer.

Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
    will be accepted on my altar;
for my house will be called
    a house of prayer for all nations.”


That's why the Psalmist (in Psalm 67:3-5) exploded in joyful celebration:
May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.
May the nations be glad and sing for joy,
    for you rule the peoples with equity
    and guide the nations of the earth.

May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.


On the other hand, the prophet Amos sent a dire warning to God's people, who despite having the knowledge of God and His Presence, did not seek righteousness and uphold justice. Their religious practices would amount to nothing (Amos 5:21-24)!
“I hate, I despise your religious festivals;
    your assemblies are a stench to me.
Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
    I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
    I will have no regard for them.
Away with the noise of your songs!
    I will not listen to the music of your harps.
But let justice roll on like a river,    righteousness like a never-failing stream!


 So the Lord admonished them (through His prophet) with these words (Amos 5:4-7):
Seek me and live;
    do not seek Bethel,
do not go to Gilgal,
    do not journey to Beersheba.
For Gilgal will surely go into exile,
    and Bethel will be reduced to nothing.”
Seek the Lord and live,
    or he will sweep through the tribes of Joseph like a fire;
it will devour them,
    and Bethel will have no one to quench it.
There are those who turn justice into bitterness
    and cast righteousness to the ground.


These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the culmination of the ages has come. (1 Corinthians 10:11)

When I participated in the Holy Eucharist and the adoration of the Holy Sacrament this morning, I was blessed by Jesus' Presence and was nourished by His Body. I am reminded of St. Paul's teaching:
"Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf. Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar? Do I mean then that food sacrificed to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons. Are we trying to arouse the Lord’s jealousy? Are we stronger than he?... So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved." (1 Corinthians 10:16-22; 31-33)

So this is why I am blessed... so I can bless others! I can go through the motion of attending Mass and being religious. But if my life isn't changed and poured out for others, the Lord is not pleased! Oh Lord Jesus, help me to seek and find You in all of these - that I might live as You intended for me to live, that the world may know of your love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment