Friday 2 June 2017

I Believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth

I get this sent to me everyday which now forms the major part of my daily devotion and prayer (along with the daily Rosary). The Meditation of the Day for today (June 2, 2017) really spoke to me (with my emphasis in BOLD and links to biblical references, taken from CCC, 268-9):

"Of all the divine attributes, only God’s omnipotence is named in the Creed: to confess this power has great bearing on our lives. We believe that his might is universal, for God who created everything also rules everything and can do everything. God’s power is loving, for he is our Father, and mysterious, for only faith can discern it when it ‘is made perfect in weakness.' (Gen 1:1; Jn 1:3; Mt 6:9; 2 Cor 12:9;  1 Cor 1:18)

"He does whatever he pleases"(Ps 115:3)

The Holy Scriptures repeatedly confess the universal power of God. He is called the 'Mighty One of Jacob,' the 'Lord of hosts,' the 'strong and mighty' one. If God is almighty 'in heaven and on earth,' it is because he made them. (Gen 49:24; Isa 1:24; Ps 24:8-10; 135:6) Nothing is impossible with God, who disposes his works according to his will.(Jer 27:5; 32:17; Lk 1:37) He is the Lord of the universe, whose order he established and which remains wholly subject to him and at his disposal. He is master of history, governing hearts and events in keeping with his will: 'It is always in your power to show great strength, and who can withstand the strength of your arm?'"(Wis 11:21; Esth 4:17b; Prov 21:1; Tob 13:2)

"You are merciful to all, for you can do all things"(Wis 11:23)

When I am weak; when the forces of the enemies appear to gain strength (look no further than the abortion and assisted suicide legislation); and when sickness and disasters become overwhelming; I must remember to come back to the very core belief of my faith - look to God for strength. These verses come to mind:

(Psalm 121)
I lift up my eyes to the hills—
    from where will my help come?

My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth.


(2 Corinthians 12:1-10)
“My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.
I learned the Greek word for weakness is asthenia (or astheneō). This word appears a lot in many medical terms, e.g. Myasthenia gravis. It's hard to imagine that when someone has weakness, then there is also potential to find strength (or at least the meaning of strength). It's interesting to do a word study in scripture using the Strong's Concordance. The blueletterbible.org has a useful tool for that. So I learned that "Strong's Number G770 matches the Greek ἀσθενέω (astheneō), which occurs 39 times in 35 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV".

(Psalm 23)
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
    I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff—
    they comfort me.


(Philippians 4:13)
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

These are lovely worship music on this theme:
You are my Hiding Place - Let the Weak say I am Strong in the Strength of the Lord
How Great Thou Art - Then Sings my Soul...

And this is a lovely testimony from Marlana whose life clearly transforms weakness into strength:
http://www.littlemarlana.com/my-story.html



No comments:

Post a Comment