Monday 28 May 2018

If we receive good from the hand of God, why should we not also receive evil?

I spent the weekend in the hospital - first the ER then admitted to the 8/F West of the Hamilton General Hospital, which is the Clinical Teaching Unit for Internal Medicine patients. I was admitted because my cardiac enzymes doubled since admission. I was wearing a remote cardiac monitor to make sure I didn't go into arrhythmia. I just had a bicycle accident during which I fractured and dislocated 4 ribs, separated my left shoulder, and had a concussion which erased all my memories of the event and hours after. I received excellent care, with my dear wife by my side. My oldest daughter and her husband and my first grand son also came by to visit. I was sore but I felt that God was very good to me. I discharged myself after a repeated CT of my head showed that the small frontal lobe haemorrhage did not progress and my cardiac enzymes had returned to normal.  I then went to the late Sunday evening mass.

I am now sitting by the window enjoying the beautiful view and breakfast. And this morning I read the scripture found in Job 2:
So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the crown of his head. Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes. (Job 2:7-8)

The text went on to quote Job's wife in saying: "Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!" to which Job answered: "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?".  Then the bible recorded possibly the longest dialog and debate between Job and his three friends Eliphaz, Bildad, and Elihu, which lasted from Jobs 3 to Jobs 37 before the Lord finally spoke in Jobs 38-39:
"Who is this that obscures my plans
    with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man;
    I will question you,
    and you shall answer me." (Jobs 38:2-3)
"Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
    Let him who accuses God answer him!" (Jobs 40:2)

To which Job replied:
“I am unworthy—how can I reply to you?
    I put my hand over my mouth.
I spoke once, but I have no answer—
    twice, but I will say no more.” (Jobs 40:4-5)

Then the Office of Readings quoted The Moral Reflections on Job by Pope St Gregory the Great:
"We should especially notice the skilful turn of reflection he uses when he gathers himself up to meet the persuading of his wife, when he says If we have received good at the hand of the Lord, shall we not receive evil? It is a great consolation to us if, when we suffer afflictions, we recall to remembrance our Maker’s gifts to us. Painful things will not depress us if we quickly remember also the gifts that we have been given. As Scripture says, In the day of prosperity do not forget affliction, and in the day of affliction, do not forget prosperity." He went on to say: "The two must be united so that each may always have the other’s support, so that both remembrance of the gift may moderate the pain of the blow and fear of the blow may moderate exuberance at receiving the gift. Thus the holy man, to soothe the depression of his mind amidst his wounds, weighs the sweetness of the gifts against the pains of affliction, saying If we have received good at the hand of the Lord, shall we not receive evil?"

I am always impressed with Job's attitude in life:

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." (Jobs 1:21)

I am pondering whether I should attend a conference this weekend in Halifax, in which I am giving a workshop - "It is More Blessed to Give than to Receive". This event on the weekend has served to reinforce this attitude to life. May God protect me and give me the strength I need to share God's goodness with those who would attend the workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment