Friday 21 October 2016

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners

My general confession is tomorrow! It's so wonderful to know, as St. Paul would say it:
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen." (1 Timothy 1:15-17)

Jesus has been very patient with me! Who would have thought that after 65 years I might be at this very point in my life to receive this tremendous blessing! This isn't something most men would write on their bucket list! Well it's on mine - and it's going to be crossed out this very time tomorrow:)

I was reading 1 Timothy 1 this morning. I learned that when St. Paul wrote "I am the worst of sinners" (verse 15) he wasn't just being humble. He wrote this about himself: "Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." (verses 13, 14) The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible also pointed out: "The comment is suggestive of the letter's authenticity, since it is unlikely that an admirer of Paul would described him in more humiliating terms than the apostle himself did (see also 1 Corinthians 15:9)".

In the context of St. Paul advising his spiritual son Timothy to warn him against false teachers, who "teach false doctrines" and who "devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies" (verses 3b,4a). So even in the early church the apostle had to deal with heretics, who had departed from the "sincere faith" which calls us to "love from a pure heart and a good conscience" (verse 5).

So what's next after the general confession? I will be able to participate fully at the Holy Eucharist this Sunday! I still remember sadly that when my mother was baptized at the age of 85(!) in a special mass held for her and I was the only "believer" who did not receive the communion! I told the priest I didn't believe in "transubstantiation" so he advised me not to receive the body and blood of my Lord Jesus Christ! Now I realize how ignorant I had been! This article (Christ in the Eucharist) from Catholic.com gives a really good explanation of why I now believe with all my heart the sacred blessing I am about to receive at the mass this Sunday!

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him" (John 6:53–56).

I am simply overwhelmed with gratitude! When I was baptized I was given the new christian names David Michael (BTW I only discovered the name "Michael" after I finally received my baptismal certificate!). I find myself asking this same question as the person I am named after (King David), who asked the Lord:
"Who am I, Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?" (2 Samuel 7:18)

For all of this week I was quite aware that Satan won't just let go of me and would try to attack my faith. I have been praying daily to Saint Michael, the Archangel:

"St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan, and all the evil spirits, who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen
."

No comments:

Post a Comment