Thursday 27 October 2016

Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you

Here I am back in Hong Kong, the place where I was first baptized some 50 years ago! This trip is especially special as I am returning as a Catholic. I feel like I am coming back to my first spiritual home! The more I think about it the more I an convinced that it was the sacred sacraments (baptism and confirmation) which I received 50 years ago that had protected me to this day. I feel so blessed.

There are a number of things I am doing now that are different from when I was practicing as a protestant. I have a deep desire to go to daily mass whenever possible. I went to mass at the Toronto airport before the flight to Hong Kong - that was a first! And now I am staying in a village town of Mui Wo on Lantau Island. Guess what, there is a mass this evening (Friday). Moreover, there will be a two hour adoration prior to mass which I can attend also. The wonderful thing about being a Catholic is that the experience of receiving the Holy Eucharist is the same wherever I go. In the past I would "shop" for a church to worship on Sunday when I am away on a trip. Now it doesn't really matter which Catholic church I go to. The "universal" (that's what the word "catholic" means) church uses the same liturgy wherever I find a catholic church. And the blessings that go with the worship are guaranteed regardless of who the priest is and what message (usually just a homily) I will hear. It's like going to an International bank wherever it is and making a withdrawal from an infinite bank account!

The next thing that is very different is a real desire to pray. I have been doing at least one rosary a day. I offer up my family, the sick people I know, and the ministries I am involved in to the Lord regularly. I supposed this may have to do with me being retired and feeling the need to deepen my inner life. In any case, learning more about the prayers of the many saints and church fathers gives me a greater arsenal of weapon to fight the spiritual war. I do appreciate being able to ask the many more godly people (saints and the Blessed Mother) to pray for me and my love ones. I also started praying for my parents and my half sister who had passed on. There is so much more I can do to seek divine mercy!

In today's scripture reading, Saint Paul is helping his spiritual son Timothy to be bold with God's gift:
"Every time I say your name in prayer—which is practically all the time—I thank God for you, the God I worship with my whole life in the tradition of my ancestors. I miss you a lot, especially when I remember that last tearful good-bye, and I look forward to a joy-packed reunion." (2 Timothy 1:3-4 MSG translation)
"So keep at your work, this faith and love rooted in Christ, exactly as I set it out for you. It’s as sound as the day you first heard it from me. Guard this precious thing placed in your custody by the Holy Spirit who works in us." (2 Timothy 1:13-14 MSG translation)

I have this "precious thing" placed in my custody. This precious thing includes "sincere faith" (verse 5), "the gift of God" (verse 6), and "the Spirit God gave us (which) does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline." (verse 7). "So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. " (verses 8,9a). May the Holy Spirit give me strength to guard this good deposit!

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." (Romans 1:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment