Friday 11 July 2014

I love Psalms!

Today I started reading from the Book of Psalms again. I love Psalms! What is so striking about the Psalms is that the authors (mainly David, but also Moses (Psalm 90), Solomon (Psalms 72 and 127), the sons of Korah (Psalms 42-49; 84-85; and 87-88), the sons of Asaph (Psalms 50 and 73-83), and Ethan the Ezrahite (Psalm 89) - see authors of scripture) are often so raw in their emotions expressed. It reassures me that it is okay to express my emotion before God in my prayers. It's okay to say both my praises and anger and frustrations. My faith is ultimately dependent on my relationship with the invisible God. He says He loves me and I can trust Him with my feelings.

Psalm 1 is the first Psalm I have committed to memory. It is a daily reminder of what life is all about and how to live a blessed life! It begins with this:
"Blessed is the one
    who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
    or sit in the company of mockers,

but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and who meditates on his law day and night.
" (verses 1-2)
I will do well to stay away from evil and abide in the truth. "In everything he does, he prospers" (verse 3) and that's an amazing promise!

Psalm 2 speaks of the sovereignty of God. "The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them (referring to the kings of the earth who were plotting against the Lord and His anointed)." (verses 1-4). Once again we are assured of our intimate relationship with the Almighty (remember the same promise in John 1:12?) and His promise to provide:
"He said to me, “You are my son;
    today I have become your father.

Ask me,
    and I will make the nations your inheritance,
    the ends of the earth your possession.
" (verses 7-8)

Psalm 3 which I will commit to memory this week, tells us how King David prayed to God when he was under extreme difficulties. His own son Absalom had rebelled against him and had surrounded him with tens of thousands of his troop (verse 6). Despite what he saw and heard (verses 1 & 2) David focused his thought on God's invisible shield and was able to sleep calmly through the night!
"But you, Lord, are a shield around me,
    my glory, the One who lifts my head high.

I call out to the Lord,
    and he answers me from his holy mountain.

I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.

I will not fear though tens of thousands
    assail me on every side.
" (verses 3-6)

David's strategy against fear is to look up to the holy mountain. This reminds me of another Psalm which I have also committed to memory:
"I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?

My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
" (Psalm 121:1-2)

I shall practice meditating on God's law and His protecting shield. I will look up to the mountains (or the heavens where I shall find Him) when I am afraid (of what's around me). This I will do for the rest of my days!

No comments:

Post a Comment