Friday 18 July 2014

"The Doe of the Morning"

This was the tune King David used to sing Psalm 22. Up until this morning I had always assumed the tune to be a quiet and meditative tune of praise. Although I have no idea of what the original tune was like, I can imagine it being like any one of the worship songs I know, one which is perfectly fitting for my early morning walk with my walking buddies through the Bruce Trail, a two hour walk which we do most Saturday mornings through summer and fall. On the trail we often see deers and other animals. The deers, being quite familiar with trackers through the forest, sometimes stare you straight in the face unafraid. In this setting one can't help but to naturally praise God for His wonderful creation.

But this morning I discovered that Psalm 22 actually began with these words:
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from saving me,
    so far from my cries of anguish?

My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
    by night, but I find no rest
." (verses 1-2)

These are words which Jesus uttered while he was hanging on the cross before he died!
"About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)." (Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34)

I can't imagine that he was singing a quiet meditative tune at that point. And yet the words of this Psalm was exactly what was on his mind. Jesus understood King David's cried for help when he wrote the Psalm and he was feeling it on the cross. The writer of the book of Hebrews reminded us:
"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet he did not sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

This sermon from Sermon Central is very helpful to explain Psalm 22:1-2. I learned that:
  • "The Doe of the Morning" is probably a very solemn tune. It portrays a deer being hunted.
  • The lyrics are sad. They talk about what would happen to the promised Messiah.
  • When we are in trouble, we can cry out "my God, my God". For "God is our refuge and strength" (Psalm 46:1)! Application from the sermon: "What is my god? What do I turn to refuge in every need? Do I turn to the doctors or medicines when I get sick? Do I turn to my own money managing abilities when crop prices are low? Who do I turn to in time of need?"
  • Jesus was forsaken by God! Being forsaken is like a new born child being left in a garbage can - abandoned and left alone! Not only was Jesus disowned by his father in heaven, his trusted disciples also deserted him (Mark 14:50). Will I abandon Jesus when times are good? "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever." (1 John 2:15-17).
  • Jesus died on the cross to save me! My pastor has been going through a series of sermon this summer to help us build on our foundation of belief (a mini course on "Systematic Theology"). The topic for last week and this week is on "Soteriology", or the Study of Salvation. I have found these lessons very helpful. The podcasts and sermon notes can be found here.
  • Thank you Jesus for coming to earth to identify with us,  to offer your life as an atoning (atonement = "at-one-ment") sacrifice for my sins, and to show us how to live a humble life to serve others!

7 comments:

  1. Wow. You've got this upside down. Jesus taught that God suffers in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why you write that the article has this "upside down." The Doe of the Morning that Jesus' referenced on the cross shows how He has fulfilled these prophecies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way i understand psalm 22 is that David wrote a prophetic vision (based how he feels) but a vision of atonement, crucifixion, casting lot for cloths. at this time crucifixion was not practiced for hundreds of years to come. David wrote this around 980 BC while first crucifixions started around 600 BC.
    Jesus on the other hand referred to Scripture like he always did when his flesh got tempted by devil. Referring to Psalm 22 closed the circle of God being a perfect human being sacrificed for all our sins to save us all. Can you imagine, pharisees and seduces were watching, they knew the scriptures they knew what Jesus is referring to. Then as the day came and things unravelled as it was written in the scriptures 1,000 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thank you all for these comments! I re-read these comments this morning and I appreciate any new insights that draws me closer to my savior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a spirit of the Holy Ghost..... love the saying " new insights that draws you closer to our saviour!!!"
      Keep it up humble servant

      Delete
  5. I do not understand when you say, " Jesus was forsaken by God!" and " Jesus was disowned by his father in heaven".
    Jesus came to die on the cross for our sins, and even though he felt like God had forsaken him, his father really never did. God sent his son to do a task and Jesus did. I bet that God was heartbroken but he had loved the world so much that he gave his son. So Jesus was not forsaken by God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey brother or sister (in Christ), this may be a theologically debated topic but my understanding is that the central punishment for sin is complete separation from God. This makes sense since in sin we are basically rejecting God so the most natural punishment is for him to reject us in return. Therefore when Jesus paid the penalty for sins, what he experienced on the cross was actually God abandoning him spiritually. To me this is beautiful because it means that because Christ experienced actually being forsaken by God so that we can know, even when we feel like God is forsaking us, that he isn’t.

      Delete