Friday 14 August 2015

Finding my purpose for "retirement"

I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever;
    with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known
    through all generations.

I will declare that your love stands firm forever,
    that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
(Psalms 89:1-2)

These verses in  scripture really spoke to me this morning. It is taken from the only Psalm written by this rather obscure song writer Ethan the Ezrahite. Gotquestions.org has this to say about him:
"Ethan the Ezrahite is the songwriter-author of Psalm 89. The title of that psalm says it is “a maskil of Ethan the Ezrahite.” In addition to Psalm 89, Ethan the Ezrahite is mentioned in 1 Kings 4:31 as a wise man, yet not as wise as King Solomon, who “was wiser than anyone else, including Ethan the Ezrahite.” First Chronicles 2:6 gives the added information that Ethan had four brothers and was the son of Zerah (called Mahol in 1 Kings 4:31). He was of the tribe of Levi."

I was seeking wisdom and emotional support when I was approached by my work this last couple of days to make drastic changes to my work, and therefore my income. I was so troubled by this that I nearly had a car accident! In any case, thanks to my dear wife and a number of wise colleagues, I made a number of decisions and made them clear to my boss. I am quite at peace now and whatever the outcome maybe I will learn to deal with it. Basically I offered to retire(!) after my current contract expires in June of 2016.

I have been preparing for this moment for the last couple of years. I took a 20% income cut in order to find more time to relax and to participate in volunteer activities. I have learned to find fulfillment doing these and I will most certainly be able to do more when my full retirement comes. So I will still keep myself reasonably busy doing meaningful things but not so busy as to feel overwhelmed.

Reading Psalm 89 this morning was like hearing the most reassuring words from God! So my main purpose in life (as in all the 60+ years before) is to praise God and to enjoy His love forever! My life on earth is to train and prepare for the very reason why I want to live forever with God.
Ethan the Psalmist further says:
"The heavens praise your wonders, Lord,
    your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones.

For who in the skies above can compare with the Lord?
    Who is like the Lord among the heavenly beings?
In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared;
    he is more awesome than all who surround him.
Who is like you, Lord God Almighty?
    You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you
." (verses 5-8)
God is faithful. He has provided all my needs to now and he will continue to provide. The recent events that triggered the changes at work did not happen without God's sovereign control. Indeed,
"Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;
    love and faithfulness go before you.
Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you,
    who walk in the light of your presence, Lord.
They rejoice in your name all day long;
    they celebrate your righteousness.
For you are their glory and strength,
    and by your favor you exalt our horn.

Indeed, our shield belongs to the Lord,
    our king to the Holy One of Israel.
" (verses 14-18)
This is the purpose for my retirement - having done well in one job now I move on to another. Praise to the One who will go with me. May I continue to find delight and strength in Him!

Praise be to the Lord forever!
Amen and Amen
. (verse 52)

This lovely tune will stay with me all day today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-q6z5fpgNk

No comments:

Post a Comment