Friday 27 May 2016

I am the Light of the World

This is the second "I AM" statement in the Gospel of John. I wrote about "I am the bread of life" last week. When Jesus made this declaration, it happened after he saved the life of a woman caught in adultery in the temple courts (John 8). Her accusers brought this woman in front of Jesus to trap Him. They asked Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” (John 8:4-5). It seemed that if Jesus had said anything other than agreeing with them on the death penalty they would accuse Him on teaching against the Law of Moses. Instead Jesus wisely asked them a question: “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” (John 8:7b) Jesus' question seemed to affirm two important principles: (1) The Law of Moses made it clear that the punishment for sin was death; (2) He also knew that we all have sins in our lives. When the woman's accusers heard Jesus, they were convicted of their own sinfulness and left her, starting with the older ones (presumably they lived longer and knew better their own sinful state).

I think Jesus is the answer to every moral question we have! He helps us think through some of the most basic questions about life - who are we, why are we here, where are we going... When we look to Him to find answers for the most difficult questions in our lives He is able to illuminate our hearts and minds and come to the right decision for ourselves. Therefore He is right to say “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12). I have gone through life without any purpose or direction - through spiritual darkness, and Jesus has shown me the way lots of times. I can think of times when I felt discouraged, lost in my self-pitying, carrying the burden of guilt because of my own sins, worrying  about the future, I just went back to Jesus and He comforted me, forgave me of my sins, and gave me hope.

Because of Jesus, I am now also the light of the world:
"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16). That does not mean I have all the moral answers to the world's problems. But I can point the world to Jesus, who is the true light! Armed by the Holy Spirit I can be part of the solution to a better world. May God be glorified!

No comments:

Post a Comment