Friday 10 June 2016

End of Life debate - learning from two men who died

I missed my blog last Friday as I spent the weekend attending a very good and timely conference. "In Harmony with Human Dignity" was put on by the Canadian Federation of Catholic Physicians' Societies. The highlight of the conference included the two public lectures delivered by Peter Kreeft. His first lecture titled "Two Philosophies of Human Dignity in Western Culture” and the second lecture titled “Grappling with the Meaning of Suffering Amidst Calls for Euthanasia" underlined the two important biblical teaching essential to the End of Life debate. These lectures should be available in a couple of weeks on the Federation's website.

In today's scripture reading, two men died. Josiah was the last good king of Judah. Wikipedia has a good write up on him. A few points about this man's life and death are worth noting:
(1) "He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and followed the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left." (2 Chronicles 34:2) David was many generations before him but a record of his devotion to the Lord was passed on from generation to generation. Josiah clearly had good teachers and mentors to remind him of who the Lord was and how he was to behave in the eyes of the Lord. He did so without turning to the right or to the left - totally uncompromising! I too have the scripture and the church to guide me. Help me to live an uncompromising life before the Lord!
(2) "In the eighth year of his reign, while he was still young, he began to seek the God of his father David. In his twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem of high places, Asherah poles and idols." (2 Chronicles 34:3) So even in his youth (he was eight when he became king so do the math) he began to remove all of means of idol worship in his kingdom. Now many kings had tried to do the same before but he successfully purged his country of high places. The significance of these "high places" was that they were very much ingrained into the culture of his days. There are a lot of similar "high places" in our time - worship of success, beauty, power, comfort and pleasure, and of course autonomy and self-determination, which are the basis of the Euthanasia movement. Oh may God give me the courage to witness against the idols of my time!
(3) "When the king heard the words of the Law, he tore his robes. " (2 Chronicles 34:19) Josiah was struck with remorse when he discovered that God's Law had been hidden, not read, and not obeyed for such a long time. The kings before him had ignored the importance of God's absolute guidance for His people. We are witnessing a drop in attendance in most main line churches. The teachings of Scripture are being ridiculed and ignored. Secular laws are being instituted. May God give me the zeal to speak on His absolute and unchanging Law!
(4) "So at that time the entire service of the Lord was carried out for the celebration of the Passover and the offering of burnt offerings on the altar of the Lord, as King Josiah had ordered. The Israelites who were present celebrated the Passover at that time and observed the Festival of Unleavened Bread for seven days. The Passover had not been observed like this in Israel since the days of the prophet Samuel; and none of the kings of Israel had ever celebrated such a Passover as did Josiah, with the priests, the Levites and all Judah and Israel who were there with the people of Jerusalem. This Passover was celebrated in the eighteenth year of Josiah’s reign." (2 Chronicles 35:16-19) The Passover was the single most important event in the history of God's chosen people. It recalled the deliverance of Israel from bondage by God's mighty hand. I must never forget to celebrate God's deliverance in my life. Each Holy Eucharist brings to mind what Jesus had done for me. Celebrate! Celebrate! God is our Redeemer!
(5) Josiah died in battle. I know we peace loving people don't like to think of battles. But there are real spiritual battles happening around us. "For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12) Will I be brave to take on the full armor of God to go to battle? "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes." (Ephesians 6:10-11)

John 19 tells the story of Jesus on trial by Pilate and His crucifixion. Verses 10 and 11 jumped out at me:
"Do you refuse to speak to me?” Pilate said. “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?” Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”"
Jesus died willingly for my sin and the sin of the world. Our culture says we don't need His salvation. Our culture says we don't need God! Our culture says we have the power (the Physician Assisted Death law!) to free you or to crucify you! I am thankful that Jesus reminded me that they have no power over me if it weren't given to them from above. I must do my part NOT to hand over the control. Life is precious. We are made in the image of God. We may be called to suffer for Christ's sake. May I learn from Paul:
"But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:7-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment